Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pictures tell the story



The foundation forms are just about ready.  This took a good two days to build in pretty nasty Spring weather.



I don't know how they did this while walking on 4" boards.  It didn't even seem to bother them.



Wow it is a cement hole now!!  One this lovely day my dog, Roxy, decided to go down in the hole.  There were some boxes in there as well and for some strange reason Roxy would not go around or over those boxes.  She just sat down there and whined.  So I went down thinking she had stuck herself to the sealant.  Well, her backside had definitely met with the black sticky goop, but she was just out of sorts about those boxes.  I threw them out of the hole and then started to wonder how I was going to get out. ( I just jumped in without thinking about a ladder.)  Well I was really grateful that I am over six feet tall and could reach the top of the garage foundation and was able to pull myself out.  This however messed up my shoulder and I was babying it for two days.  The dog jumped right out.  Shesh.


Hurray the mountains of rock and dirt going back where they come from almost.


I wondered how they would get the cement floor smooth.  Peyton took this picture.  She is fascinated with what they are doing and I have a full time job keeping her out of the way.  It has helped easing the loss of the porch.  That was so upsetting to her.


Can you see the difference in the old and new foundation.  That old foundation was poured with the outside against the dirt and in several spots it looks like there is no cement holding the rocks together.  It is very thick however.


We always told everyone that our walls were made with two layers of brick.  Guess what it is really three layers.  This is layer #1.  The brick is very soft but we were able to save quiet a bit. 



A floor.  Wow I won't be looking down in a hole much longer.  I have a beautiful garage floor now as well.  Things are going to start taking shape really fast now. One of our not such good surprises is we discovered that the floor joist to the second level are made with 2 x 6 boards which means we might have to take out the kitchen ceiling.  That will be messy.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! How exciting to see so much progress.

    Three layers of brick!?! No kidding!

    Too bad about the kitchen ceiling.

    I can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're officially stalking now. It's so much fun to see all your progress.

    I know what you mean about worrying about your garden. When we painted the outside of our Provo house, I worried so much about people trampling flowers and the like. Turned out alright.

    We'll be watching.

    ReplyDelete