Thursday, April 22, 2010

taking off the porch



Demolition is kind of theraputic and sad all wrapped in one. The porch has been the catch all of junk I wanted close at hand but not in the house. Here is where we ditched the muddy shoes, tools, work gloves, balls and outside toys. It was great in the winter as a second refrigertor. But what an eye sore. This is the door that we always used, but I died anytime anyone else used it. I realized as I was rejoicing of the departure of the porch that once upon a time someone (Most likely Great-Grandma Emily) was thrilled to see it being built. Someone spent money and time to make it well enough to last all these years and it fulfilled its purpose well.
Peyton, my youngest daughter, has said every day since it was torn down that she doesn't see why it had to go. She misses the comfort of routine and familiarity.
We spent a day taking out the parts that we wanted to keep, all the old windows --what treasures and some shelves. I don't think that I have seen it empty like that since the day we moved in. Jay had to screw the door between the house and the porch shut so we were could lock up at night. I should have had a video of all the times one of our youngest girls kept trying to get through that screwed shut door. Very funny!





1 comment:

  1. HA! I bet that's pretty funny to watch the girls try to use that door. :) It sure seems strange to not have the porch on your house.

    ReplyDelete